To Father, with Love..

I do not advocate speaking for others or generalizing, but this is one statement I can confidently say others who experienced it will agree - No event in anyone s life is as significant as the day he/she becomes a parent.

I am not going to give the details on changing diapers or getting up at 2 30 AM and running to feed the baby or any other responsibility as a parent. They all either change or go away after a period of time.

The most significant change in my life when I became a Dad about four months ago, is the way I surprised myself at how I could accomodate someone other than me as the central focus in my life. All along the 39 years of my life, i found it hard to accept someone else driving my schedule or decisions.  There was one central focus of all my actions - my happiness. 

Suddenly, I found myself trying hard to make my son feel comfortable - even at my own discomfort. Nothing seemed to matter other than providing him the best I can get. I wanted him to get the best of everything in life.

For the first time in my life, I began to truly feel and appreciate my own Dad - He must have felt the same way for me - when he said I was wrong, when he tried to correct me so many times, when he tried to convince me ( in vain) that the decisions i made were gratifying for the moment, but damaging in the long term. He wanted me to get the best of everything in life. His Love was selfless...

Parenting is perhaps the first time we ever truly give something without expecting anything in return. All we expect is the happiness and the best life for our children. That is perhaps what makes it the most challenging and the most satisfying of all the roles we play in life....

Becoming a Dad made me feel like how my Dad felt. I hope i become as good a dad to my son as my own dad was to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhaatu Varisai....

Beyond the obvious....

Networking to Relationship